Director of Development
About the Position
The Director of Development position at ARC is an opportunity for an individual who wants to contribute to an organization at an exciting time in its development. Building on an established strategic planning process, the Director of Development will focus on growing ARC’s membership base of patient organizations and pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, establish strategic alliances with other influential stakeholders in the disease community, broaden ARC’s role as a key thought leader on legislative and regulatory issues that impact the disease community and raise its international profile.
The time is right to implement these efforts. Thanks to international partnerships and the creation of online communities, individuals suffering from systemic amyloid diseases are more able to connect to one another for support, find clinical trials focusing on their medical problems, and bring attention to the issue in general.
The Director of Development, who will partner closely with leadership, must be a proven fundraiser, who thrives on being in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. ARC seeks candidates who have experience working with visionary leaders and the corporate sector, and who bring a well-developed skill set of prioritizing, focusing, and executing. The right candidate will possess demonstrable and strong fundraising progress and outcomes in their career, and be able to show their ability to design a program that is appropriate in scale and pace for an expanding organization. ARC will offer a competitive salary for the right individual and to building out a philanthropic function as return on investment warrants.
- Design and strategy for all areas of fundraising: corporate/foundation support, individual giving, and special events
- Development and presentation of an annual and long-range plan for fundraising, including identification of growth areas and return on investment
- Integrate fundraising plans with overall organizational plans for growth and sustainability
- Contribute to and refine the case for philanthropic support to be effective with a variety of donor audiences
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual prospects
- Engage senior staff and Board members in individual and organizational giving
- Determine strategies for further engaging membership organizations
- Ensure that systems and practices support a dynamic program
- Serve as a spokesperson for ARC and its mission in the philanthropic community and corporate and government sectors in Washington D.C. and beyond
- Make recommendations for fundraising investments (staff positions, systems, etc.) that are prudent for maximizing opportunity and supporting key strategies
- Minimum 7 years fundraising experience w/ proven success in major gifts and corporate, foundation relations
- Experience building fundraising projections, tracking results, and evaluating outcomes to inform future strategy
- Comfortable with industry leaders (preferably pharma), policy leaders and medical professionals
- Success closing gifts ranging from 5- to 7-figures
- Effective interaction with senior leadership, board, donors, and organizations at all levels
- Solid communications skills (writing, interpersonal presentation, and public speaking)
- Familiarity working with member- or chapter-based organizations
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Genuine interest and commitment to the mission, with the ability to effectively communicate it
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Desire to lead ARC to the next level of growth
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: ARCIdod@developmentguild.com
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.